Tip of the Month
Protect your spices.
Your spice cabinet is an investment so take care of its contents by following these tips:
- Don’t store dried spices and herbs above the stove or on the counter next to the stove. Store them in a cool, dark place away from the heat in a tightly sealed container.
- Store red spices, like chili powder, in the refrigerator to help retain color and flavor.
- When you open a new package of a spice or herb, write the date on it. Generally, your spice will last a year. After that they start losing flavor.
- Buy the smallest amount possible if it’s a spice or herb you seldom use.
- To get the most flavor from a dried herbs rub them between your fingertips.