At Western Bariatric Institute, we strive to exceed your expectations in all phases of your bariatric surgical care. Our Patient Advocates will help guide you through the process of preoperative evaluation and scheduling for surgery. We will coordinate postoperative visits and any further evaluations that may be needed post-surgically. Our experienced, motivated and dedicated staff have specialized training and experience in all phases of the bariatric surgical process.
We believe that patient education regarding what to expect before, during and after surgery are keys to success and we endeavor to provide you with as much information as possible prior to your surgery date. Our staff is always ready and available to answer any questions that may arise – we are truly here for the comfort of our patients.
We encourage you to be consistent with your follow up care and visits to ensure that we can monitor your progress. After weight loss surgery, we consider you part of our weight loss family and want to be able to support you as you move forward with your new life. The best levels of success are achieved when patients continue to maintain contact with our office, continue to follow the best diet regimen, continue to attend support groups, and engage in regular exercise.
The healthiest diet for life is one that involves eating smaller portions of healthier foods for the rest of your life. Many studies have demonstrated that diets that are lower in sugars or carbohydrates are healthier for longer life and lower body weight. After bariatric surgery, patients generally will feel more full and satisfied after eating a smaller meal. No surgery is a guarantee of successful weight loss, however, so it is up to you to eat and drink the appropriate healthier things so that you can maintain long-term weight loss. Numerous studies have showed that the following general principles are extremely effective in maintaining long-term weight loss:
- Eat a diet that emphasizes “protein first”. This means that when you shop or prepare food or begin to eat, the item you should be preparing or consuming first is a healthy protein choice. For example, a small piece of baked fish or other similar protein item would be an excellent food to base your meal around.
- Minimize excess carbohydrates. Studies indicate that we all consume plenty of carbohydrates. A dedication to minimize not only the obvious complex carbohydrates such as desserts and sweets, but also the hidden carbohydrates of breads and pastas will serve you well for long-term weight loss. Studies also show that hunger can swing dramatically with the surges in glucose and insulin associated with eating meals high in carbohydrates. Over time, a diet that consists of lower carbohydrates will usually result in lower swings in hunger and an increased feeling of satiety and satisfaction.
- Zero calorie beverages. In this day and age, we all consume plenty of carbohydrates through our regular meals. It is unnecessary and in most cases unhealthy to drink regular beverages that contain additional carbohydrates such as sugared sodas. With so many choices available today, it is essential for every person to choose a standard beverage that has simply zero calories.
- Smaller portions. The healthiest portion is one that is probably less than half the amount an average American consumes at a regular dinner. Bariatric surgery can help make it easier for people to consume smaller portions by decreasing the size of the stomach. Nonetheless, it is important to remember that a smaller portion size is healthier in the long run.
- Exercise for life. Although this is not really part of a “diet”, it is such an important part of long-term weight loss that we had to include it here. Regular sustainable daily exercise such as a long, invigorating walk is an essential component to healthier, longer life.
Remember, you hold the keys to success. No surgery is a guarantee of weight loss, but if you stick to the proper diet and exercise plan, you can live a healthier, longer, happier life.
Reconstructive surgery, otherwise known as plastic surgery, is something that many patients opt for after weight loss surgery. Since many patients experience significant weight loss, some excess skin may need to be removed which can be achieved via reconstructive surgery. There are many practitioners in the Northern Nevada area who have worked significantly with our patients and we would be happy to help you locate a physician if requested.
Exercise & Training
Studies demonstrate that a regular, vigorous exercise schedule is a critical component to long-term health and weight loss. We recommend long, vigorous daily walks as the best exercise to start with. At Western Bariatric Institute, we recognize that some patients have other conditions which impair their ability to take long and vigorous walks. It is important to explore all other alternatives so that a patient can find a way to get regular exercise. It is not only good for the body, it is good for the mind! We have many suggestions, including the use of swimming pools and exercise equipment that will help you find a way to exercise on a daily basis. We have also partnered with fitness organizations to provide a successful and pleasant atmosphere for regular exercise and interaction with others.
A requirement of the American Society of Bariatric Surgery and nearly all insurance plans is that all patients undergo a psychological assessment prior to surgery. We will help facilitate that with an experienced panel of friendly and helpful psychologists. This evaluation is not difficult or burdensome and, in many cases, can be quite helpful, enlightening and insightful for the patients themselves. The therapist is then available for follow up counseling after bariatric surgery. Although it is wonderful to lose weight and become healthier, we recognize that sometimes this change can involve psychological stress as well. It is very valuable, therefore, to have a panel of experienced, dedicated expert therapists to turn to when some additional counseling or psychological expertise is wanted. Our experienced team will strive to serve you compassionately and expertly as you go through a wonderful and healthy life change.