Healthy Snacking Habits
We all get the urge to snack, but sometimes when we indulge it we don’t necessarily always reach for the right snacks. When we starve ourselves all day and try to make it through the day without eating our usual caloric amount, we tend to head home and start eating basically anything that isn’t bolted down, it’s a fact.
If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em, right? Focusing on healthy snack foods and having only those foods available in your home when you’re absolutely on verge of binging, is vital. Reaching your health goals is basically just calling out your future self – what would you do if you were being good all day and came home to find ice cream in the fridge? Well, most of us would down it. Preventing these things from happening by buying the right foods is an easy and quick way to keep your diet on track.
First things first: What to Keep on Hand at all Times
Now while there aren’t really ‘set’ times to eat, you should put something in your stomach within the first hour or so of waking up so your blood sugar doesn’t crash.
- Yogurt? Blueberries? Be wary of ‘low-fat’ yogurts as they contain a ton of sugar, but blueberries will give your greek yogurt the extra kick it needs for you to get it down. Greek yogurt is only 100 calories, has 17 grams of protein, 18% calcium, and provides Vitamin B and potassium to your body.
- Don’t underestimate the power of the lemon, or the grapefruit, for that matter! You can use a glass of lemon water throughout the day, whenever you need a pick me up or start to feel hungry long before your next meal. Did you know that hunger and thirst are the same signal? When you squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a glass of purified water you are ingesting more than 35% of your Vitamin C for the day. That’s HUGE. In half of a grapefruit, you 64% of your Vitamin C, 28% of your Vitamin A, 2 grams of dietary fiber, and it’s 52 calories.
- Eggs. But only the whites! You’ve heard this before we’re sure, but if you’re trying to watch your weight, egg whites are the way to go. You get 14% of your daily protein, with little to no calories or cholesterol. Avoid the yolks, even if they’re your favorite part.
- Broccoli and spinach. Are you seeing a trend? These superfoods are going to be on the top of every healthy food list, and it’s no surprise. As a quick snack or steamed for dinner, these veggies pack in a ton of Vitamin C and keep you energized throughout the day.
As you move throughout your day, try to think about ways of incorporating the above foods into your daily routine. Not only will your weight loss go faster, but you will start feeling better, if not almost immediately. Your body is like your car, you just have to perform certain maintenance on it to keep her running smoothly, that’s all.
If you want to lose weight and you are ready for a change, the time was never better. Being health conscious is so important, and losing weight easy is becoming the new norm. No matter where you are starting, getting healthy starts with you and what you’re willing to work for you. The harder you work, the more dedicated you are, the more results you will see. Don’t get discouraged if you go to the gym a couple times, hop on the scale, and see a few extra pounds. You’re regaining muscle, you’re eating more, and you’re developing a routine. Understand and learn about the machine that is your body.
Contact WBI today and let’s start setting some fitness goals. We will help you lose the weight, and keep it off.
We offer a free bariatric surgery seminar presented by John Ganser MD, FACS. Please register to learn more about:
- Western Surgical's Bariatric Surgery Division - Western Bariactric Institute
- The Obesity Epidemic
- Weight Loss Surgery Options